Kate's Blog

Follow me if you will as I try to navigate through the ups and downs of my world.

I'm writing this blog to help me make sense of all that has happened - from my diagnosis with non-Hodgkins lymphoma while pregnant with my third child in May 2008
, through to my reflections on chaotic family life as I try to pick up the pieces of my life again.


The kids are so small, and I'm working hard to keep us all safe and to stay in remission.

Stay with me - it won't be all doom and gloom I promise!



Wednesday 9 January 2013

Stanley

We're getting a dog. Well, actually he's a small black labrador puppy who smells delicious. And we're picking him up on Saturday. He's called Stanley.

I am spending the week veering wildly between feelings of excitement and intoxication which easily matches the kids' delight, and feeling weak at the prospect.

I'm trying to quell the voice which is asking exactly why we're taking on a puppy when by the end of the day I pretty much already feel at my limit.

By the time I've gone to work, tried to write (ha ha), given evening private tuition, taken the kids to and from school, made tea and dinner, cleaned up, washed clothes, done the shopping, travelled to Leeds once a week in preparation for my psychotherapy training next year....I'm kind of exhausted to put it politely. Although that's not all in one day. I'm being dramatic, right?

But - we've been thinking about a dog for a while. I'm hoping that finding time for a walk every day will do me a lot of good and the happy presence of his whole being radiates joy for life. That's got to be good karma.

I'll tell myself that early in the morning while I'm trying to get the kids ready for school and the puppy is flying around.

And he'll sit still for Coronation Street, I'm sure.

Watch this space.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

xo

Tracey said...

I'd sooner have another child! Good luck to you though. If you are puppy people, I'm sure a puppy is required.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back! Having a similar lifestyle to yourself, we also dithered for ages about whether or not to get a dog...but we did it, a black lab crossbreed. He's 6 months old now, and very much part of the family. The early weeks were tough, but as long as you are realistic about that you will cope. The best invention ever must be the dog crate, I would definitely recommend it, and the book 'the perfect puppy' by Gwen Bailey. Enjoy! M.

Anita said...

Never a dull moment in your home, Kate! I hope your year has started off well.