Kate's Blog

Follow me if you will as I try to navigate through the ups and downs of my world.

I'm writing this blog to help me make sense of all that has happened - from my diagnosis with non-Hodgkins lymphoma while pregnant with my third child in May 2008
, through to my reflections on chaotic family life as I try to pick up the pieces of my life again.


The kids are so small, and I'm working hard to keep us all safe and to stay in remission.

Stay with me - it won't be all doom and gloom I promise!



Tuesday 18 January 2011

Work-Stuff

There's lots going on at the moment. I'm applying for a part-time teaching jobs (three days a week - heaven help our already more than crazy mornings!) I'm also hoping to do some private English tuition in the evenings - hence spending most of yesterday applying to a tutor agency. Very helpfully I've managed to lose my BA, MA and teacher training certificates so I'm having to re-apply for them to different universities which is quite a torturous process in itself.

And - listen to this. I think I'm going to start an online business. Scary? yes! I'm hoping to sell ethically traded lovely stuff. So - with a very tentative but excited mood upon me, I'm going to start building the steps I need to get this thing up and running. I'll let you know how it goes, in fact I might even blog a little about my experiences - and will put a link on here to my shiny new website when (ahem....) I actually have a shiny new website.

Needs must regarding all this energy being poured work-wise. I don't want to work full-time in teaching at the moment. Hattie is not yet at school, or even nursery. I'm only just two years in remission and teaching secondary school English to hordes of teenagers certainly isn't easy. I want to at least wait until all the kids are in school - Hattie will start in September 2012, which isn't so long away. And if I can develop a few more strings to my bow in terms of earning possibility, maybe we will be able to at the very least continue to pay the mortgage and put food on the table which is proving difficult at the moment.

This morning I've spent the whole time in the hospital with Ed who had banged his head hard at school yesterday. As you know Ed has haemophilia so a knock on the head can be very serious. I gave him treatment last night but this morning he was still complaining of having a headache. So off we went with Hattie in tow. He had another dose and a check-up and then arrived back to school in time for lunch. And I'm still feeling grotty - in fact a bit worse than that now. And it's bloody difficult coping with the kids feeling like this. Ho Hum.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

So sorry you are feeling Ho Hum! Spendning any amount of time at the hospital having your babe checked out surely won't help with that. Your internet business might though! How exciting Can't wait to hear more details:)

Thriving rebel said...

good luck but when will you have time to write your blockbuster??
don't take on too much. I know money for everyone is always an issue??.....but do look after yourself xx

Wally B said...

Hi kate, I'm assuming your recent tests have all been good. Great news. On line business sounds good. Good luck.

Kate said...

Thanks all of you. It's lovely to post and to so quickly get such lovely comments.

Tracey said...

Wow. Actual jobs, which earn actual money. I don't even think I could get dressed for that. So, I applaud you. Maybe when my kids are a little older I'll get back into that whole lawyer thing, but ugh! They don't bake business suit out of the same stuff as those sweat pants.

Vince said...

You will be shocked at what a little bit of extra cash can do to your household. And as long as you don't fold it into the running budget it's becomes one kick arse stress burster. There's nothing like a bit of 'fuck you' money.

microsoft outlook exchange said...

You have a nice blog. Keep posting!