Kate's Blog

Follow me if you will as I try to navigate through the ups and downs of my world.

I'm writing this blog to help me make sense of all that has happened - from my diagnosis with non-Hodgkins lymphoma while pregnant with my third child in May 2008
, through to my reflections on chaotic family life as I try to pick up the pieces of my life again.


The kids are so small, and I'm working hard to keep us all safe and to stay in remission.

Stay with me - it won't be all doom and gloom I promise!



Tuesday 9 February 2010

Food

I love food.

Today, I have another bug despite trying to eat healthily and drink my smoothies everyday. My neck has swollen up to body-builder proportions (yes, really -very attractive!) and I'm finding it hard to talk and swallow. And I cannot get an appointment with the doctor until tomorrow.

Despite this, and despite the fact that I've looked after the 3 kids all day with multiple school runs, tea-making and putting to bed single-handedly as Rog is working late, my mind is running on food. Specifically food that I would love to eat in my invalid (ha, ha) state but not have to cook.........

Fish pie - the luxurious version with smoked fish and prawns, spaghetti with garlic, white wine and chilli, bolognese with mushrooms and red wine, homemade tomato soup with cream and croutons. Not to mention strawberry fool, chocolate mousse, and rum and raisin ice-cream.

But, delirious dreaming aside - I'm going to have to pull myself off the sofa to see what I can quickly put together instead. I've sort of collapsed for the evening so I fear it may be toast and marmite. Not quite what the doctor ordered.

5 comments:

Menopausal New Mom said...

Yuck!! Marmite, reminds me of that Veggiemite (sp?) stuff I used to see all over New Zealand. Sorry you're not feeling well but hopefully the doc will put you right tomorrow!

Hope you get to put your feet up tonight and rest.

Anonymous said...

You are the second blog I have just read which is waxing lyrical about food.

And I *still* have no dinner sorted out.

Damn you all - I hope my rumbling stomach keeps you awake tonight.... ;)

diney said...

Hope you feel better today x It would be lovely to have a resident cook (apart from us!)

Unknown said...

i have never in my life heard of fish pie:) xoxo

Rebecca S. said...

You are making me hungry, though I also have never had fish pie. It sounds delicious, though. My sister used to make vol au vents, which is puff pastry with cream sauce and scallops. Absolutely delicious. Now I'm all 'rumbly in my tumbly' just thinking about it!