Kate's Blog

Follow me if you will as I try to navigate through the ups and downs of my world.

I'm writing this blog to help me make sense of all that has happened - from my diagnosis with non-Hodgkins lymphoma while pregnant with my third child in May 2008
, through to my reflections on chaotic family life as I try to pick up the pieces of my life again.


The kids are so small, and I'm working hard to keep us all safe and to stay in remission.

Stay with me - it won't be all doom and gloom I promise!



Friday 25 September 2009

Moving On?

Spent the day today at a conference supposed to help me to live beyond my cancer diagnosis. For half the day I was irritated and the other half of the day I was in tears. Probably not the intended outcome of the day but there we go.

So we're planning a long walk in the Northumbrian hills tomorrow. Not visited the Tyne Valley? Fabulous countryside and astounding history literally at your fingertips as Hadrian's Wall winds it's way along the hills like the spine of an enormous animal. One of my favourite places on the planet. I reckon connecting with the wall and maybe with those long-ago homesick Roman soldiers - breathing in the pure air of the fells - will help me infinitely more than anyone in a stuffy conference hall could ever do. Enough already!

We need to get the dog we've been planning for when things pick up and I get broody again for the fourth child I can't have. Now's the right time. I'm not at my broodiest yet - I know it's going to get much worse than this but I think a dog is just what we need. This is a new time for me - I'm feeling well and we could all do with such a happy addition to the family. But what kind of dog? This is the source of many happy musings. She has a name already, and she's a she already but will she be a Boxer or a Border Terrier? Or a woolly mongrel we can love anyhow? Whoever she is I can't wait to pack her into the car with all the kids and take her to visit the Romans up on the beautiful moors. All these good things I think will help me to assimilate my experience and find a way back to some kind of inner peace.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Good luck with the dog. I'm a big fan of mixed breeds, but, also, I'm a crazy dog lady and I think any dog brings joy to a home.